Being in a car accident can cause devastating injuries to expecting mothers and their unborn child.
Seemingly minor accidents can still cause auto accident injuries. Pregnant women should seek immediate medical attention after any motor vehicle collision because even fender benders can cause complications.
Some complications which can result from a car accident include:
- Slow growth.
- Miscarriages are one of the worst possible results of an accident. They cause mental and physical trauma. Vaginal bleeding and stomach cramps are early signs of a miscarriage.
- Pre-term labor (births before 37 weeks) come with serious risk of complications.
- High blood pressure.
- Pre-eclampsia (seizures).
- Other placenta problems: abruption or separation of the placenta can happen after car accidents and can be fatal.
If you are involved in an auto accident as an expecting mother you should:
- Seek medical attention. You can reduce the risk of complications by being monitored by your doctor. You may not feel pain at the time of the accident, but you should be evaluated by a medical professional. Complications may be avoided under a doctor’s care.
- Seek legal advice. A lawyer will assess your case and take the correct steps to ensuring that you receive due compensation for your pain and suffering, and to cover the baby’s medical expenses.