Although the days are already getting longer, there is likely to be quite a few more weeks of ice and snow for us to contend with here in the Chicago area. As Aurora slip and fall lawyers, we know all too well how a slip or fall can lead to missed work and significant injury. Here are some winter safety tips to help you avoid becoming a victim of a slip and fall accident.
Avoid a Slip or Fall
Nearly one third of all winter time worker’s compensation claims resulting in time lost from work were the result of slips and falls in the Midwest. These types of claims are on the rise, doubling in 2014 from the year before. When a business fails to clear a walkway in a timely manner, they are at risk for being found legally responsible under premises liability law.
We offer some simple tips so you can avoid becoming a statistic:
- Walk slowly and deliberately taking smaller steps when you encounter a patch of ice
- Wear boots or other slip-resistant footwear with soles designed for the snow
- Know when to be on the lookout for black ice: after a period of melting
- Exercise caution when getting in and out of vehicles
- Watch for slippery floors when entering buildings
- Don’t overload yourself with heavy groceries or packages
- Keep your hands free to help stabilize yourself
- Use snow melt or salt on shady walkways
- Switch to a backpack or messenger bag to help your balance and keep your hands free
We all take pride in having the toughness necessary to withstand harsh winters in Aurora, but we also know that preparedness and common sense is one of the best ways to stand up to the elements.
If you have suffered a slip or fall because of the negligence of another, call the Law Offices of Mark L. Karno & Associates at 312-574-3362 for your free consultation. We welcome clients from Aurora, Chicago, and the surrounding communities.