As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you need to do whatever you can to remain safe at all times. This means having knowledge of why accidents happen.
Here are some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Reckless driving: Any form of reckless driving, such as speeding, can lead to a serious accident. You should never overlook the fact that some truckers may not always follow the rules of the road.
- Drowsy driving: Too many hours on the road can make a truck driver tired. This fatigue increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Distracted driving: It’s easy for a trucker to become distracted behind the wheel. This can be the result of texting, eating, drinking or talking on a cellphone (among other distractions).
- Inadequate training: There is nothing simple about driving a truck. It’s important that every driver receive the necessary training regarding defensive driving, safety concerns and driving technique.
- A system of compensation that leads to speeding and reckless driving: A trucking company that compensates drivers for reaching their destination early is one that may be prompting poor driving habits.
- Improper or lack of vehicle maintenance
Be aware, be prepared
While there is no guaranteed way to avoid a truck accident, you can put yourself in a good safety position by being aware of common dangers on the road — and staying away from those dangers.
If you find yourself part of an accident, call 911 and wait for help to arrive; file a police report, take pictures of you can and file a police report. You need to receive immediate treatment for your injuries. Once you are feeling better, you may be able to seek compensation from a negligent party.