Winter weather will be in Chicago to stay before long. The bitter cold, snow, and freezing rain can present a number of challenges for traveling in your vehicle. Get prepared now and remember these tips for safer driver this winter.
- Check your windshield wipers. The time to find out they should be replaced is not when you are stuck in a storm.
- Keep the gas tank full. In the summer months, some people only fill up when the tank is nearing empty. In the winter, you are taking the chance that you’ll be stuck in a snowstorm without the gas to run the engine and keep warm.
- Fill the windshield wiper reservoir. On a snowy or slushy day, you can easily go through a half gallon of wiper fluid. Make sure that you frequently check and top off your reservoir to ensure you can keep your field of vision clear.
- Use snow tires. Tires designed specifically to handle snowy conditions will grip the road better to give you traction during to get going, for braking, and turning.
- Slow down. It’s easier to lose control of your vehicle in slippery conditions. Give yourself plenty of space around other vehicles and drive more slowly to allow yourself more time to react to dangerous situations.
We welcome clients from Aurora, Chicago, and the surrounding communities. Our attorneys work for you on a contingency fee basis – we don’t get paid until you do.