PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Taking action after a fall in your building

If you are renting an apartment from a landlord, it will mean that you expect the apartment and the rest of the building to be in a reasonable condition. If you find the stairs difficult to climb or the floors slippery, you may have considered raising the issue to your landlord. You may also be concerned about hazards such as delivery packages or newspapers that are left on the floor in your building.

If you suffered a fall in your building and you believe that the hazardous conditions of the apartment were to blame, it is likely that you will feel anger and frustration. This will be exacerbated if you had previously complained to your landlord about the dangerous conditions in the building.

A serious fall could lead to mounting medical bills and time off work while you fight to get healthy. Based on the circumstances of your situation, you might be entitled to monetary compensation. It is important that you take the time to learn about premises liability law and how it applies to apartment building injuries.

Can I make a legal claim against my landlord if I become injured in my building?

If you become injured in the communal areas of the apartment building due to a hazard, you may be able to make a legal claim. Before making a legal claim, it is a good idea to question whether you believe that your landlord could have reasonably done something to prevent you from becoming injured.

For example, if there were newspapers left on the floor that had been there for weeks and you tripped and fell on them, it is safe to say that the manager of your building should have and could have prevented such an incident. However, if you fell down the stairs as a result of being intoxicated and the stairs were perfectly safe for use, it is unlikely that you would be able to make a claim.

It is important to consider the extent of the financial and emotional damages after any injury on a public premises. If you believe that negligence was present in your fall, it is a good idea to take action.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get a free consultation

Get A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us For A Free Consultation | No Fee Unless We Win

Let us answer your questions during a free consultation. Contact the Law Offices of Mark L. Karno & Associates for help with your injury case.

Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no legal fees unless we win compensation for you.

Serving Chicago, Evanston, And Nearby Areas Of Illinois

Chicago Office
33 N LaSalle St
Suite 3500
Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 312-574-3362
Fax: 312-701-0600
Chicago Law Office Map

Aurora Office
1444 N Farnsworth Ave
Suite 105
Aurora, IL 60505

Phone: 312-574-3362
Fax: 312-701-0600
Aurora Law Office Map

Tell us how we’re doing:

Review Us